My Favorite Tools for Business

Sections

Software

Books

Tools

Software

Notion – My personal knowledge/life management system.

Pinboard – Where I collect online reading materials.

Scrivener – This is 100% what I use to write. Don’t be turned off if it seems overly complicated; you don’t need to learn every feature. I probably only use 10% of its features, and that’s more than enough for me.

Adobe – We used InDesign when I was a layout editor for the newspaper and weekly arts magazine at NYU.

Demio – Great for workshops

Books

Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind. One of the most timeless marketing books ever written, Positioning is the art of creating new space in the customer’s mind for your product/service/offering. No differentiated position, no meaningful company.

Superconsumers: A Simple, Speedy, and Sustainable Path to Superior Growth – The best way to grow your business isn’t “more customers.” It’s more Superconsumers. Supers spend 30-70%+ more than the average consumer, and buy more products/services more often. Win them, and you win the game.

Play Bigger: How Pirates, Dreamers, and Innovators Create and Dominate Markets – Category Kings win 76% of the category economics. Everyone else fights over the remaining 24%. You cannot be a legendary marketer in today’s day and age without understanding Category Design.

The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness – Curated wisdom from Silicon Valley investor & founder of AngelList, @naval, this is one of my favorite “business” books ever. It is a guide for success while also acknowledging the flaws of the game.

What They Don’t Teach You at Harvard Business School: Notes from a Street-Smart Executive – There’s the way the world works “in theory.” (School) And then there’s the way the world actually works. This book is a wake-up call: relationships drive everything.

Think and Grow Rich – The fact this book isn’t required reading in MBA programs blows my mind. In order to become successful, Hill says you must position your Chief Aim in your mind’s eye. And obsessively pursue it.

The Art and Business of Online Writing: How to Beat the Game of Capturing and Keeping Attention

Helpful Tools

USB to multi-USB adapter