How to choose a photographer, or decide between a few things. My magical plan:
- Put a quick ad on Craigslist seeking a photographer for a quick portrait session.
- Within a day, get three pages of responses:
- Ask your significant other to help narrow the list down.
- Receive the list of “approved photographers” from your S.O.
- Check out the chosen photographers’ websites.
- Suddenly realize exactly why you do/don’t like them, and what you want in a photographer.
- Return to original list (see #2) and contact the two that you like.
This is a little like the old trick of flipping a coin if you can’t decide: when the coin is in the air, your instinct overrides the more deliberate part of your mind and manages to make a decision quickly. Likewise, when you’ve eliminated 90% of the options and start to miss certain features–that’s your clue about what the important characteristics are. My way, of course, helps narrow down decisions with 50 potential outcomes *and* gets my partner in the decision-making process. Win-win!